Please Introduce Yourself

Netiquette, Members, Help
DavidYamada

Please Introduce Yourself

Post by DavidYamada »

Hello Everyone,

We hope that you, as a Member of this Forum, will use this Topic to introduce yourself. (In the subject line, please use your name, as I have done so to introduce myself below!)

Please share anything you'd like, especially if it's relevant to the broad subject matter of dignity. If you've got links to any of your activities or endeavors that may be of interest to people here, please feel free to include them.

We look forward to learning more about everyone who stops by.
Last edited by DavidYamada on Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Yamada
WDUi Director
dyamada@suffolk.edu
DavidYamada

David Yamada introduction

Post by DavidYamada »

Well, folks may be bashful to get this started, so I'll introduce myself.

I've been a member of the Human Dignity and Humiliation Studies community for many years, and my latest involvement is assuming a leadership role for this World Dignity University initiative. I'm very excited about this opportunity, and I look forward to working with members of our community in building this endeavor!

My day job (and often evening one, too) is working as a law professor at Suffolk University Law School in downtown Boston, where I specialize in employment law and law & psychology. I've developed a considerable multidisciplinary expertise on the topic of workplace bullying. Model anti-bullying legislation I've authored -- dubbed the Healthy Workplace Bill -- is considered the template for legal reform efforts in the U.S. addressing this form of employee mistreatment. I'm also very active in the field of therapeutic jurisprudence, which examines the therapeutic and anti-therapeutic properties of our laws and legal systems.

If you'd like to learn more about my work:
    Please visit my professional blog, Minding the Workplace: https://newworkplace.wordpress.com
      You may also freely access many of my scholarly publications from my Social Science Research Network page: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/Abs ... _id=506047.
        The latest version of my c.v. is posted here: https://www.suffolk.edu/-/media/suffolk ... june22.pdf
        David Yamada
        WDUi Director
        dyamada@suffolk.edu
        ulisp10

Introducing myself: Uli Spalthoff

Post by ulisp10 »

As of 2022, I am a 72 years old, living in the countryside of the Franconia region in Germany. I am married to Brigitte Volz. She is a retired teacher, Gestalt therapist, and artist.

Before my retirement, I was Director Advanced Technologies in the CTO office of Alcatel-Lucent in Paris. Earlier, after my Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry, I led a research team developing optical communication technologies, followed by various positions in marketing, quality management, technology strategy, and innovation management at Alcatel-Lucent in Germany and France. In a truly global team, I was mentoring start-ups and consulting high-tech companies in IT, telecommunication and semiconductor industries from countries all over the world. Interested in a broad range of professional fields and diverse social contexts, I acquired expertise in a range of technical, economic, and social areas.

After my retirement, I wanted to continue nurturing innovative ideas to shape our future. As I regard the concept of human dignity as a most valuable tool for organizing our societies, I am happy to explore this and to learn more ways how people can work for a dignified common future. Therefore it was a lucky coincidence that I met Evelin Lindner around 2005 at Paris airport Charles De Gaulle, where we both queued for a flight to Tel Aviv. Being impressed by her work and the HumanDHS community, I asked to be part of this group after my retirement.

Currently I am managing Dignity Press, the HumanDHS offspring which published so far more than 30 books covering a wide range of themes connected with human dignity. I am also involved in setting up and managing the platforms for the WDU initiative.

Besides this, I like woodworking and house maintenance of the almost 400 years old half-timbered house my wife and I are living in. And in my spare time I learn to play the piano.
        "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."
        Nelson Mandela
        MaraAlagic

Introducing Myself: Mara Alagic

Post by MaraAlagic »

Professionally, I can describe myself as a STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) educator and researcher. My interest in intercultural communication and global learning has arisen from having taught internationally and in culturally diverse environments. I like to say that those experiences ignited my passion for learning about and understanding essential conditions for dignified and respectful communication no matter what our cultural context, beliefs, and opinions are. Even before recognizing this side of my interests, I was always curious in understanding “the other”.
        Currently, I am a Professor in the School of Education and serve as the Graduate Coordinator for the Master of Education in Learning and Instructional Design (LID) program at Wichita State University, USA, where I am also involved in the transdisciplinary Disaster Resilience Analytics Center. I also serve as Editor in Chief of the Journal of Mathematics and the Arts, Taylor & Francis, UK.
        I am looking forward very much to conversations about and the future of the World Dignity University Initiative and the world of the future we will leave for our children and grandchildren. I try to look at the world through their eyes: my four grandchildren and their parents : )
        More about my work you can find at my academic institution - https://www.wichita.edu/profiles/academ ... c-Mara.php
        With love and light,
        Mara
        mara.alagic@wichita.edu
        mara.alagic@gmail.com
        HayalKoksal

Re: Please Introduce Yourself

Post by HayalKoksal »

After graduating from the Izmir Institute of Education Department of English Language Teaching, I worked as an English teacher in secondary schools for ten years. I completed my bachelor's degree at Marmara University in 1985, received my master's degree in "English Language Education (ELT)" in 1992, and my doctorate degree in "Educational Sciences" in 1997. After moving as a lecturer to higher education, I worked in Istanbul, Gaziantep, Marmara, Istanbul Kültür, Boğaziçi, Yıldız Teknik, London Kingston, Yeditepe, Bahçeşehir, and Cyprus Science Universities respectively. Between 2004 and 2009, I worked as the localizer and consultant of the "Innovative Teacher Education Program" for Microsoft Turkey and continued my "quality in education" studies that started in 1992.
        I was promoted to Associate Professor in the field of "Higher Education Studies" in 2019. I give special importance to teacher education with my studies focused on "Village Institutes" which was the project of Great Atatürk to improve the villages and village kids and for 20 years I am trying to create awareness among the teachers and teacher-trainees about the philosophy of those institutes. I wrote a book about it in 2016 titled "Re-Opening Village Institutes through Collaborative Teams".
        I wrote 18 books and articles and papers presented at national and international scientific meetings and got many awards. Believing in the power of civil society, I have been a member of more than ten non-governmental organizations and currently conducting project-based studies in three non-governmental organizations; one in Istanbul (Innovative İmece Association/YİMEDER), one in India (Total Quality and Excellence in Education World Council/WCTQEE) and the other one within the City Council of Sarıyer, Istanbul concerning educational issues. My latest book, "Project-Based Joyful Classroom Management", was published by Nobel Printing House in April and it gives the codes of 'learning by having fun', 'play' and raising thinking and questioning young people with 'project management' that have been important in the world in recent years.
        My link to Human DHS started in 2005 with dearest Evelin through e-mails. Then I hosted the Istanbul Conference in 2010 and I gained the honor of meeting many Dignity friends. It is a great privilege for me to be a family member of Human DHS and WDUi. I hope I might also add some to the peaceful and dignified future of the world along with you.
        If you want to learn more and take part in my international ICT Seagulls Project, please visit: www.bilisimcimartilar.com
        To learn more about my NGO, please visit: www.yimeder.org.tr and to learn more about me: www.hayalkoksal.com